Tuesday, July 15, 2014



  This week will celebrate 59 years of Disneyland!  As celebrations gear up for Thursday at the park I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the history of the park and opening day 59 years ago July 17, 1955!

The Disneyland you would have seen on opening day, 59 years ago is much different then the Disneyland of today.  There were just 18 attractions on that first Disneyland day: Autopia, Disneyland Band, Disneyland Railroad (4 stations), Jungle Cruise, King Arthur Carousel, Mad Tea Party, Main Street Cinema, Mark Twain River Boat, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White's Scary Adventures and Storybook Land Canal Boats.  Many popular attractions followed in the next month to a year.

The one thing that I believe is still very much the same as it was 59 years ago is the magic and vision that existed then.  Walt Disney stated "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world"  As a Disney fan I get excited as I see new attractions and new events that the Disney Imagineers create, they are keeping Walt's legacy alive.  I also love to see certain things stay the same year after year and be able to enjoy the nostalgia, the classics that Walt himself had a hand in.

As we look back at this great moment in history and a different time, I hope we can all find some joy in the words of Walt's opening day speech almost 59 years ago.  It brings tears to my eyes every time!  I know I find great joy and inspiration from Disneyland, and I hope you do too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bdHGROiiCM











No comments:

Post a Comment